It is currently 23 Apr 2019 21:01

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 03:59 

Below is some working code.
It's very basic but helped me to go through the basics of passing values to functions
Much help form Rus51 - Thank you.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Project:         WVL_POINTERS                                              //
// File:            WVL_Pointers.c                                            //
// Function:        Test pointers, functions, variables and arrays            //
// MCU:             PIC18F46K22                                               //
// Board:           EasyPICv7                                                 //
// Power            5V.                                                       //
// Compiler:        mikroC PRO for PIC version 7.2.0                          //
// Programmer:      On-board                                                  //
// Author:          WVL                                                       //
// Date:            17 January 2019                                           //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// Function - Add 1 to incoming number and do not return the result           //
unsigned int Number_Add(unsigned int incoming_number){                        //
    incoming_number++;                                                        //
    return;                                                                   //
}                                                                             //
// Function - Add 1 to incoming number and return the result                  //
unsigned int Number_Add_Return(unsigned int incoming_number){                 //
    incoming_number++;                                                        //
    return incoming_number;                                                   //
}                                                                             //
// Function - Add 1 to incoming number using a pointer                        //
unsigned int Number_Add_Ptr1(unsigned int *incoming_number){                  //
    *incoming_number = *incoming_number+1;                                    //
    return;                                                                   //
// Function  - Add 1 to incoming array using a pointer                        //
//             Input: pointer and array length                                //
void Array_Add_Ptr2(int *incoming_array,int array_length){                    //
   unsigned int i;                                                            //
   for(i=0;i<array_length;i++){                                               //
        incoming_array[i] = incoming_array[i]+1;                              //
   }                                                                          //
   return;                                                                    //

void main(){
    char                 x = 0;
    char                 *ptr1;
    unsigned int         *ptr2;
    unsigned int         a = 0;     // Used for Printout() that only displays ints
    unsigned int    result = 0;
    unsigned int    my_int = 0;
    char my_string[5] = "4567";     // 5 bytes including NULL terminator
    unsigned int  my_array[4] = {100,200,300,400};   // 4 records 8 bytes
    // Peripherals
    UART1_Init(9600);       // used RC6/Tx1 RCt/Rx1 not used RB6/Tx2 RB7/Rx2
    delay_ms(1);
    // Identify
    UART1_Write_Text("WVL_Pointers on EasyPICv7 PIC18F45K22 at 32MHz\r\n");

while(1){
        // Function strlen() returns string length not including NULL termination
        result = strlen(my_string);   // result = 4, excludes the NULL termination
        Printout(UART1_Write,"\r\nMeasue length of my_string\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Length:%u\r\n",result);

// Measure array size - this will not work in a function - must send a count of elements in array
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Measue bytes, variable type and size of my_array\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Total Bytes in my_array: %u\r\n",sizeof(my_array));
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Bytes per array record : %u\r\n",sizeof(my_array[0]));
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Records in my_arrays   : %u\r\n",sizeof(my_array)/sizeof(my_array[0]));

// Use pointers to get addresses
        ptr1 = &PORTD;
        ptr2 = &my_array;
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Test using pointers to get addresses\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Address of PORTD               : %u\r\n",ptr1); // 3971/F83h is the SFR address of PORTD
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Address of my_array            : %u\r\n",ptr2); // returns 109 as starting point of my_array[0]
        ptr2 = ptr2+1;  // now pointing to 2nd int of my_string
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Address of 2nd int of my_array: %u\r\n",ptr2);  // returns 111 because my_array is an int
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Value of 2nd int of my_array  : %u\r\n",*ptr2); // returns value stored at my_array[1]

// Test function with no 'return'
        my_int = 123;
        a = 0;
        a = Number_Add(my_int);
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Function, pass-by-value, no return\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_int:%u\r\n",my_int);  // my_int unchanged as 'passed by value'
        Printout(UART1_Write,"a     :%u\r\n",a);       // a=0 because function had no 'return'

// Test function with 'return'
        my_int = 123;
        a = 0;
        a = Number_Add_Return(my_int);
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Function, pass-by-value, return\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_int:%u\r\n",my_int);  // my_int unchanged as 'passed by value'
        Printout(UART1_Write,"a     :%u\r\n",a);       // a=124 because function had 'return'

// Test function with pointer
        my_int = 123;
        a = 0;
        Number_Add_Ptr1(&my_int);                      // & needed to pass address of my_int
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Function, pass -by-pointer\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_int:%u\r\n",my_int);  // my_int =124 as 'passed by value'
        Printout(UART1_Write,"a     :%u\r\n",a);       // a=0 because it's unused

// Test function with pointers and array length
        Array_Add_Ptr2(my_array,4);                    // & not needed as my_array is a pointer
        Printout(UART1_Write,"Function, pass-by-pointer, array-length\r\n");
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_array[0]:%u\r\n",my_array[0]);
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_array[1]:%u\r\n",my_array[1]);
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_array[2]:%u\r\n",my_array[2]);
        Printout(UART1_Write,"my_array[3]:%u\r\n",my_array[3]);

// Test function with pointers and sizeof() function - No you can't use sizeof() in a function!
        // Notes from Rus51 with some workrounds:
        // 1. If the array is a char array it will normally be terminated with 0
        // and it is a very easy task to find the end of the array.
        // 2. Make a global variable (accessible from everywhere) and write the array size to it.
        // 3. The first element of the array contains the array size.
        // 4. Write an end marker to the array so that a function can be written
        // which will find this end marker and so find the number of elements in the array
        // This function can be called from everywhere

// housekeeping
        delay_ms(2000);
    }
}

Regards Bill Legge