It is currently 23 Oct 2017 14:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017 13:11 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2005 05:08
Posts: 548
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
I am trying to specify a 5" TFT for an instrumentation project where I plan to use a 100 pin dsPIC33 (or possibly an ekvivalent PIC24) controller, not yet determined which one is most suitable. I am looking at the RVT50AQFFWR00 which has resistive screen, a nice metal frame and FT812 controller (the one listed as MIKROE-2170). The main board would be of my own design.

While I notice that FT812 is listed in the libraries already from ver. 6.2.1 of mikropascal for dsPIC, I see no boards for VTFT which use an FT800 series controller. That makes me wonder if this display is supported with VTFT under the dsPIC compiler.

I have a previous project based on the MMB board for dsPIC (not the EP version), and I also wonder if the code for the FT812 controller will be too different to use this project as a starting point. I seem to recall from when these graphic controllers were introduced that the logic was working quite differently with respect to updating the display (I vaguely recall it needs to refresh the whole display all at once).

The instrumentation project needs to update quite a few numbers on the display 5 times per second. Will this be feasible with this display? Also I will likely want to be able to draw some graphs on the display as in the old project. Please inform me if this display is supported by VTFT and if so you think it is suitable for this purpose.

Other users: Are there any other recommended metal framed 5" TFT displays I should look at that is supported by VTFT?

If this is the display I want to go with I am also looking for manufacturer no. for a suitable short connection cable and connector for the main board.

_________________
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017 10:00 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2005 05:08
Posts: 548
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Looks like it is need for bumping this post. Any response with respect to usingRiverdi 5" on dsPIC33/PIC24 and Visual TFT?

_________________
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017 10:39 
Offline
mikroElektronika team
User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2017 14:21
Posts: 625
OT wrote:
I am trying to specify a 5" TFT for an instrumentation project where I plan to use a 100 pin dsPIC33 (or possibly an ekvivalent PIC24) controller, not yet determined which one is most suitable. I am looking at the RVT50AQFFWR00 which has resistive screen, a nice metal frame and FT812 controller (the one listed as MIKROE-2170). The main board would be of my own design.

While I notice that FT812 is listed in the libraries already from ver. 6.2.1 of mikropascal for dsPIC, I see no boards for VTFT which use an FT800 series controller. That makes me wonder if this display is supported with VTFT under the dsPIC compiler.

I have a previous project based on the MMB board for dsPIC (not the EP version), and I also wonder if the code for the FT812 controller will be too different to use this project as a starting point. I seem to recall from when these graphic controllers were introduced that the logic was working quite differently with respect to updating the display (I vaguely recall it needs to refresh the whole display all at once).

The instrumentation project needs to update quite a few numbers on the display 5 times per second. Will this be feasible with this display? Also I will likely want to be able to draw some graphs on the display as in the old project. Please inform me if this display is supported by VTFT and if so you think it is suitable for this purpose.

Other users: Are there any other recommended metal framed 5" TFT displays I should look at that is supported by VTFT?

If this is the display I want to go with I am also looking for manufacturer no. for a suitable short connection cable and connector for the main board.


Hi,

Unfortunately we do not sell any 5" screens in our shop. The closest size that i can recommend to you is the 4.3" screen.

The 4.3" screens that i would recommend for you are these two screens:

[ConnectEVE]
https://shop.mikroe.com/connect-eve-board
This screen is nice for prototyping.
It does not involve any additional components except the jumper wires that you would use to connect it to your development board.
The code can be generated from Visual TFT.

[Riverdi display 4.3 and Riverdi click]
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-click
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-43-res
This is also a great display.
It can connect to our mikroBus socket with a riverdi click that the link was provided above.

Both of this displays are supported by our Visual TFT.
Only thing that would need to be created is a custom Visual TFT scheme for a chosen micro controller.

If you need any more information. Feal free to contact us directly at our help desk page by submitting a ticket.
https://helpdesk.mikroe.com/

Regards,

_________________
Dusan Poluga.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017 03:24 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2005 05:08
Posts: 548
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
dusan.poluga wrote:
Hi,
Unfortunately we do not sell any 5" screens in our shop. The closest size that i can recommend to you is the 4.3" screen.

Please look again. I am talking about this display:
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-50-res
clearly in your shop. It is even sold though several of your distributors here in the US, for instance:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?key ... IKROE-2170

I need to display more information than a 4.3" display would be suitable for.
So my question is, is the riverdi-50-res/MIKROE-2170 display compatible with VTFT?

As this display has the same resolution and controller as the 7" display, my question would apply to the following display as well:
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-70-res
If this display works, the 5" should too.

But my question is also general with respect to displays that use the FT8xx contollers. Does frequent update of numbers and plots on screen cause any problems?

Or am I better off with a display that use the SSD1963 controller like theTFT Proto 5”:
https://shop.mikroe.com/tft-proto-5-board

Quote:
The 4.3" screens that i would recommend for you are these two screens:

[ConnectEVE]
https://shop.mikroe.com/connect-eve-board
This screen is nice for prototyping.
It does not involve any additional components except the jumper wires that you would use to connect it to your development board.
The code can be generated from Visual TFT.

[Riverdi display 4.3 and Riverdi click]
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-click
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-43-res
This is also a great display.
It can connect to our mikroBus socket with a riverdi click that the link was provided above.

Both of this displays are supported by our Visual TFT.
Only thing that would need to be created is a custom Visual TFT scheme for a chosen micro controller.

If you need any more information. Feal free to contact us directly at our help desk page by submitting a ticket.
https://helpdesk.mikroe.com/

Regards,


The EVE boards are out of question as they will require a compiler for the FT90x. I do not want to start out with a new for me unknown type of mikrocontroller. BTW, I am using surface mount technology with KiCad to produce my custom boards with stencil/reflow technique so I can deal with the ZIF connector (gone are the crazy days of hardwiring...), so I would forego the development board stage for this one, but click boards are listed as available both for the Riverdi 5 and 7" displays.

_________________
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017 11:57 
Offline
mikroElektronika team
User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2017 14:21
Posts: 625
OT wrote:
dusan.poluga wrote:
Hi,
Unfortunately we do not sell any 5" screens in our shop. The closest size that i can recommend to you is the 4.3" screen.

Please look again. I am talking about this display:
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-50-res
clearly in your shop. It is even sold though several of your distributors here in the US, for instance:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?key ... IKROE-2170

I need to display more information than a 4.3" display would be suitable for.
So my question is, is the riverdi-50-res/MIKROE-2170 display compatible with VTFT?

As this display has the same resolution and controller as the 7" display, my question would apply to the following display as well:
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-70-res
If this display works, the 5" should too.

But my question is also general with respect to displays that use the FT8xx contollers. Does frequent update of numbers and plots on screen cause any problems?

Or am I better off with a display that use the SSD1963 controller like theTFT Proto 5”:
https://shop.mikroe.com/tft-proto-5-board

Quote:
The 4.3" screens that i would recommend for you are these two screens:

[ConnectEVE]
https://shop.mikroe.com/connect-eve-board
This screen is nice for prototyping.
It does not involve any additional components except the jumper wires that you would use to connect it to your development board.
The code can be generated from Visual TFT.

[Riverdi display 4.3 and Riverdi click]
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-click
https://shop.mikroe.com/riverdi-43-res
This is also a great display.
It can connect to our mikroBus socket with a riverdi click that the link was provided above.

Both of this displays are supported by our Visual TFT.
Only thing that would need to be created is a custom Visual TFT scheme for a chosen micro controller.

If you need any more information. Feal free to contact us directly at our help desk page by submitting a ticket.
https://helpdesk.mikroe.com/

Regards,


The EVE boards are out of question as they will require a compiler for the FT90x. I do not want to start out with a new for me unknown type of mikrocontroller. BTW, I am using surface mount technology with KiCad to produce my custom boards with stencil/reflow technique so I can deal with the ZIF connector (gone are the crazy days of hardwiring...), so I would forego the development board stage for this one, but click boards are listed as available both for the Riverdi 5 and 7" displays.


Hi,

You are absolutely correct. The 5" display exists.
I am sorry for causing confusion.

All of this displays will work under Visual TFT.
The screen drawing should be fast enough for your application.

Both mentioned displays with display controllers mentioned above have good performance.
But i would recommend the one with the FT8xx controller since it provides a more better performance in my opinion.

Regarding the EVE display board. It comes with FT800 display controller. It does not have a FT90x micro controller on it.
It interfaces with your micro controller over SPI like Riverdi displays mentioned above.

If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

_________________
Dusan Poluga.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017 13:03 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2005 05:08
Posts: 548
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks, the 5" resistive Riverdi-50-res/MIKROE-2170 display looks quite attractive then also because of the more compact form factor for a 5" display (I am tight on space vertically). And you are right, I stand corrected with respect to the EVE display board, I confused it with the HMI boards.

Can you can supply the VTFT initiation code for mikropascal dsPIC with the Riverdi-50-res/MIKROE-2170/FT812 controller that works with the touch screen?

(I do notice some other users troubling with these displays, although mostly with the FT813 controller.)

How is memory use with the FT8xx controllers vs. the more traditional SSD1963 controllers?

_________________
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017 16:59 
Offline
mikroElektronika team
User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2017 14:21
Posts: 625
Hi,

We can supply a Visual TFT Scheme for this display.

You can also create it based on the already created scheme for the display.
Porting should not be that hard.
The only way that it would not work is if the user connects it by accident to wrong pins.

Regarding the memory usage. I am not aware on how much memory each one of the display controllers will waste.
We have not tested and compared the results.

Regards,

_________________
Dusan Poluga.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017 08:59 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2005 05:08
Posts: 548
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
dusan.poluga wrote:
Hi,
We can supply a Visual TFT Scheme for this display.

You can also create it based on the already created scheme for the display.
Porting should not be that hard.
The only way that it would not work is if the user connects it by accident to wrong pins.

OK, thanks, are the pins configurable as with other displays?
If not, I will need this scheme now before I create the hardware to drive it.

I also have the issue of presently being forced to use ver 6.2.1 instead of the integrated 7.01 as pointed out in another thread due to issues with the MP dsPIC compiler and FHD and higher resolution display.

_________________
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017 14:23 
Offline
mikroElektronika team
User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2017 14:21
Posts: 625
Hi,

I have tested almost all displays from our shop with our development systems.
All displays that i have tried work properly with our development systems.

Displays that are controlled from GPIO can be remapped to other port pins.
Other displays that are controlled from SPI can be connected to a different SPI interface if it exists on the micro controller.

Best Regards,

_________________
Dusan Poluga.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017 06:18 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2005 05:08
Posts: 548
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks, I have submitted a support ticket for the Visual TFT Scheme.

_________________
mikropascal dsPIC, Visual TFT, MMBdsPIC v.105, 1.10_9A, mikroProg, "Big"(P30F6012A)EasydsPIC2


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: