It is currently 23 Feb 2019 13:46

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019 09:05 

I have PIC32MX795 running on Fusion v7 and communicating with SD card with latest FAT32 Lib. The use of the SD card is is for short term data storage to protect against power loss, I need to store 8 arrays of data every hour, each array is less than 512 bytes so writing to sectors is possible. Every hour the previous data is over written so on power loss previously stored data can be used to rebuild live data being generated by the MCU.

My questions are for sector vs. file write and read, both will work, but which is best for wear leveling and speed?

When using sector write and read, does this write to the same physical memory in the SD Card memory and there by reducing the SD card life span and increase the chances of memory cells failing over a period of time?

Also when wrting to sectors, I have tested writing to sector 590 (used from Mikro example code), is the next free sector 591 or is it 590 + 512 (512 bytes being the sector size)?

I am assuming file write and read would place data at different places on the SD Card and reduce wear but write speed might be slower?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019 17:01 

Hello,

I'm afraid we've never performed such tests, so I can't tell you with certainty.
Quote:
I am assuming file write and read would place data at different places on the SD Card and reduce wear but write speed might be slower?

Most likely.

Kind regards,

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019 20:50 

Files have also a fixed place (used sectors) on an sdmmc card, so the wear will be the same when writing to a file as when writing sectors directly. Of course in the latter case the speed will be much higher (no FAT overlay).