It is currently 26 Jun 2019 03:50

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 49  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008 20:48 

Dany wrote:
Another possibility is that your PC has a lot of usb devices connected, which will slow down the speed of course.

So: the speed is highly dependant on the PC usb configuration topology. Perhaps more kowledged USB guru's can explain this. :?:
I myself would like to know e.g. why the speed does not drop a little bit when changing the topology but fall back to a very low speed (as you also signal).
Also I do not know how to optimise for speed the settings of the "usbcom" driver in "usbcom.inf" and the timeouts for the virtual com port in "wincom.pas". :oops:

No, it is the only one USB device connect to my PC.
Dany wrote:
p.s. What kind of library are you measuring? the non ping pong or the ping pong version?

I test ping pong version.

Dany wrote:
It should be found. :cry: Do you use the project file I provided?
Perhaps the "Project -> Options -> Directories-Conditionals" needs adaptation for your Delphi developent environment?

It is ok now. I don't know why, it need to install to new component. Then it will compile it to dcu.

Dany wrote:

It can not download. Seems server problem.
Thank you for all your help.

-Tomy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008 05:29 

Dany,

PC -> PIC speed nearly 64KB/s. Seems it is look like HID Speed. Because HID speed is 64KB/s.

You have same speed as me if don't connect to USB HUB. Then I think maybe HUB have buffer. So, PC can send to it very fast.
After PC send data finished, but the HUB still sending to PIC, so you don't notice this. PC will show you 250KB/s. It is not right.
But if you direct connect to PIC, PC will wait for PIC reply. This can test PC -> PIC real speed.

As I know, CDC is same as Bulk transfer. Only different is CDC have RS232 emulation + Bulk. So, speed is little slow than real Bulk transfer.
Receive speed can be accept. But sending speed same as HID. Please take a look at PC -> PIC code.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Thank you for your work. :P

-Tomy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008 20:03 

Hi all,
A small article about external Eeprom (type X24Cxx) device addresses has been added in the section "Tips" on the website indicated below.
A number of people have surely problems with this (me included), and the datasheets are not always that clear or easy.
The article makes some "translations" from the datasheet contents to the things the user has to know. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008 20:23 

Tomy wrote:
PC -> PIC speed nearly 64KB/s. Seems it is look like HID Speed. Because HID speed is 64KB/s.

You have same speed as me if don't connect to USB HUB. Then I think maybe HUB have buffer. So, PC can send to it very fast.
After PC send data finished, but the HUB still sending to PIC, so you don't notice this. PC will show you 250KB/s. It is not right.
But if you direct connect to PIC, PC will wait for PIC reply. This can test PC -> PIC real speed.

As I know, CDC is same as Bulk transfer. Only different is CDC have RS232 emulation + Bulk. So, speed is little slow than real Bulk transfer.
Receive speed can be accept. But sending speed same as HID. Please take a look at PC -> PIC code.
Ah. I do not know what to say. You are most probably right about the hub "speeding up" the transfer by buffering the data... :cry: I was very happy to see the 250 kB/sec, I never did look further than my nose is long (local expression, but you get the meaning I think). :oops:

I assume you have a much faster PC than I have, and, since you measure the same low USB send speed as I do, it means that the speed is not determined by the PC program (the Delphi one), but is entirely due to the USB implementation in the PIC. Again :cry:.
I hope this conclusion is correct, because I do not know the effect of the "usbcom" driver in this behaviour.

At this moment I am stuck. I do not know how to solve it. I hope the solution is not to start using assembly, because I have no experience in it at all...

Anyone any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2008 14:07 

Dany,

Thank you for your reply and help. I don't know how you can make CDC for MikroPascal. It is great !
I beleive you know everything about it. So, if you think you don't know how to solve it.
Then I think maybe UsbCom driver problem. Because it don't come with source. So, we don't know what is its limit.
If you have time, maybe you can try again with microchip's CDC driver. At least we know it don't have send/receive limit.

If you need any help (testing) from my side, please let me know.

-Tomy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008 11:11 

Hi,
A new library has been added to the website: the USB "HID" library, C version. The author is Fabio Silva (known as "Fabim" on this forum).
See the website, section "PIC Units".

Thanks Fabim! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008 11:24 

Tomy wrote:
Thank you for your reply and help. I don't know how you can make CDC for MikroPascal. It is great !
I beleive you know everything about it. So, if you think you don't know how to solve it.
Then I think maybe UsbCom driver problem. Because it don't come with source. So, we don't know what is its limit.
If you have time, maybe you can try again with microchip's CDC driver. At least we know it don't have send/receive limit.

If you need any help (testing) from my side, please let me know.

Hi Tomy, thanks very much for the suggestions. I will do certainly something about it again later. For now I do indeed not know how to solve the speed problem. :cry: The microchip's CDC driver seems to be a good starting point to tackle the problem. Does the CDC library works together with it or not? (I did not test this driver...) :oops:

Last edited by Dany on 13 Dec 2008 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008 17:04 

Hi,
A small tip has been added to the website: "mikroElektronika's Serial Ethernet Proto board connections", explaining connection issues rising when starting to use the board. :D See section "Tips". Since there is no manual for the board yet, I felt the need to publish this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008 08:46 

Hi Dany,

I'm sorry. I say something wrong. Microchip don't have their own driver. They provide mchpcdc.inf , it will install usbser.sys from microsoft.

I tested it with your CDC Library, it don't work. I tested many times, sometime it can install and windows recognize it as virtual com port. Then I run your test program. It will hang (waitting PIC reply).

I want to ask, if you can modify your CDC Libaray, remove COM emulation. I just only need Bulk transfer. Then Read/Write speed will increase. Is it possible ?

Thanks. :)

-Tomy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008 11:04 

Tomy wrote:
Hi Dany,I say something wrong. Microchip don't have their own driver. They provide mchpcdc.inf , it will install usbser.sys from microsoft.
No problem.

Tomy wrote:
I tested it with your CDC Library, it don't work. I tested many times, sometime it can install and windows recognize it as virtual com port. Then I run your test program. It will hang (waitting PIC reply).
I knew that (see the documentation on the CDC library on my website. As far as I know, it works only with "usbcom.sys". :cry:

Tomy wrote:
I want to ask, if you can modify your CDC Libaray, remove COM emulation. I just only need Bulk transfer. Then Read/Write speed will increase. Is it possible ?
The CDC library already does not do COM emulation. All "class specific" commands/requests are ignored. It is only capable of doing the USB emumeration and performing bulk transfer. "usbcom.sys" does not require more than that, other drivers probably do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008 12:21 

Hi Dany,

Thank you for your fast reply.

Dany wrote:
The CDC library already does not do COM emulation. All "class specific" commands/requests are ignored. It is only capable of doing the USB emumeration and performing bulk transfer. "usbcom.sys" does not require more than that, other drivers probably do.

So, you mean your CDC Library and Bulk Transfer are same ? If yes, I'll try it with Bulk Transfer test.

Thanks.

-Tomy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008 16:56 

Tomy wrote:
So, you mean your CDC Library and Bulk Transfer are same ? If yes, I'll try it with Bulk Transfer test.
Ok. The endpoint 3 is used for the bulk transfer. The only other "CDC" thing the USB CDC library does is saying to the USB host that it is of the "CDC" type (which includes a bulk transfer endpoint). It does not perform and of the other "CDC Class" activities however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008 11:40 

Nice web site Dany. Lots of handy tips and useful links.
The leave a message box on the bottom did not work though, thats why I left it here :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008 10:58 

Hi all,
A small article about Characters, ascii codes and strings representing numbers has been added to the website.
Please find "Characters in mikroPascal" in the "Tips" section or in http://www.rosseeld.be/DRO/PIC/Characters%20in%20mikroPascal.htm.
It seems to be a trivial thing, but a lot of people struggle (a bit) with it, hence the article. :D
All suggestions are wellcome.

Have fun. :D

Last edited by Dany on 27 Oct 2010 09:50, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008 11:04 

Hi all,
A small article about numbers and their coding (binary, decimal, hexadecimal, BCD) has been added to the website.
Please find "Numbers in mikroPascal" in the "Tips" section or in http://www.rosseeld.be/DRO/PIC/Numbers%20in%20mikroPascal.htm.
It seems to be a trivial thing, but a lot of people struggle (a bit) with it, hence the article. :D
All suggestions are wellcome.

Have fun. :D

Last edited by Dany on 27 Oct 2010 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 49  Next